October 30, 2014
Healthy Home Cleaning Habits
At Greenapple House Cleaning, we know that we can give your home the cleaning it deserves while keeping your family safe and healthy at the same time. Our cleaning methods are nontoxic and safe for both you and the environment. We also know, however, that many of our clients will opt for us to visit only once a week or even once every two weeks to give their home a deep cleaning. In most cases, waiting to clean until a schedule visit from our expert service isn’t an option for many. Your home is going to get dirty in the meantime, and you’ll need to give it the occasional cleaning between visits.
If you want to stick to green cleaning habits and keep your home as safe as possible, we have a few tips that will help.
Green and Healthy Cleaning Habits
- Open the Windows– Many new and modern homes are made to be efficient, especially when it comes to keeping outdoor air outside. While this can mean a lower utility bill, it also means less new air coming into your home. Open up your windows every once in a while or run your exhaust fans. Even if it’s only for five minutes, you’ll let fresh air into your home so you can breathe easier.
- Limit Dust– Use microfiber cloths whenever you’re dusting to trap dust instead of letting it become released back into the air. Limit the amount of dust in your home as well by removing clutter and initiating a ‘no shoes inside’ policy that you enforce with everyone who enters your home.
- Try Cellulose Sponges– Sponges aren’t the ideal scrubbing tools, as they trap germs and act as useful places for bacteria to grow. If you’re going to use them, though, stick to cellulose ones. Regular sponges are typically made from plastic or polyester, which break down in landfills slowly and are treated with a chemical called triclosan. Cellulose sponges are biodegradable and non toxic. They can be found at many natural food stores.
- Keep Your Bedroom Clean– You spend eight hours or more a day in your bedroom, so keep it clean. If you can, limit the time your pets are in these rooms.
- Use Natural Solutions– Avoid using any traditional cleaning product in your home at all costs. Most are made with chemicals that can be toxic and cause breathing problems, heart problems, and even reproductive issues. Instead, use natural and green cleaning solutions, like vinegar, baking soda, water, and citrus peels.
- Clean From the Top Down– If you need to clean your home between visits from Greenapple House Cleaning, start at the top and work your way down. By cleaning the shelves, cabinets, and window blinds first, you will allow the dust to settle in the room before you begin to clean the floors.
Need to clean between Greenapple House Cleaning visits? Use these tips to stick to a greener home cleaning routine that is safe for you and safe for the environment.