July 31, 2014
The air freshener you use in your home may be primed to whisk you away to a flower-filled meadow in spring-time or a field of honeysuckle, but it could also be responsible for filling your home with toxic contaminants. According to a research study performed at the University of California Berkeley, terpenes, or chemicals that are often found in orange, pine, and lemon oils, are not by themselves harmful to humans or the environment. However, once they are released into the air, they can react with indoor ozone and form the group one carcinogen formaldehyde.
Terpenes aren’t the only ingredients that are under investigation when it comes to the everyday home cleaning products many individuals use. Other ingredients, like dichlorobenzene, Naphthalene, parfums, and synthetic musks have been the subject of research studies and activist groups like World Wildlife Fun and Greenpeace.
Air fresheners of all kinds, from sticks to plugins to cans, are used in homes around the world. If they are bad for us, though, that begs the question: What’s the alternative?
Freshen Your Home Naturally
- Open a Window- Opening a window and letting some fresh air in may seem obvious, but many people ignore the important effects of this simple step. Letting a window stay open will not only draw in fresh air, but it will also draw out bad odors and neutralize unpleasant scents.
- Go Herbal- Do you have a local nursery near your home where you can access fresh herbs? Pleasant smelling herbs can be used all throughout your home to create natural fresh scents. For instance, you can place dried herbs in bags and put them in drawers and cabinets. You can also place some in your litter boxes if you have cats to neutralize some of the foul scents. Herbs can also be made into decorate pieces, like wreathes, and hung in your home year-round for an always-present scent lifter.
- Vegetable Candles- Vegetable and soy candles can freshen your home (and even provide some appropriate mood lighting) without putting off harmful chemicals or releasing toxins into the environment.
- Create a Natural Air Freshener- Instead of purchasing your air fresheners, make your own. A small bottle of water and a few drops of your favorite essential oil can have your entire home smelling wonderful.
- Use Greenapple House Cleaning- A clean home shouldn’t have any scent at all, good or bad. When you hire Greenapple House Cleaning as your choice in home cleaning services, you can rest assured that your home will be cleaned with products that are not only safe for the environment, but safe for your family to be around as well. Our company is dedicated to keeping your home clean and looking beautiful, and erasing any odors that might be unpleasant to your sense of smell.
Need to freshen your home? Put down the store-bought air freshener and put your home through detox with these naural and safe alternatives you can use around your family and even your pets. You’ll be glad you did.