February 14, 2014
Six more long weeks of winter- at least according to the groundhog. If you’re tired of snow and cold weather, start the warm season early by invigorating your home with the smells of spring. Don’t think using a few essential oils will brighten your mood? Think again- it’s scientifically proven.
Our sense of smell triggers our memories, controls what we crave, enhances our moods, and influences our behavior. Every day we are capable of recognizing around 10,000 odors- each of which has a positive or negative effect on our behavior and mood. If you had to choose which ones you experienced inside your home, wouldn’t you choose the former?
Odors to Use in Your Home
What smells instantly brighten your mood? Do you love the smell of a coffee in the morning? The scent of a cinnamon bun that has been taken right out of the oven? Or maybe you love the way your lavender bath salts infuse your bath water each night with calming scents.
While a clean home is one with no scent at all, that doesn’t mean it has to stay that way. With your favorite essential oils and some natural products, you can make your home smell like spring.
- Save the Extras- When you’re done cooking, do you have leftover bits of herbs, ginger, or citrus rinds? Don’t throw them away. Instead, use them to freshen your home. They can be made into homemade potpourri, frozen and then thawed to remove oils for a diffuser, or even thrown into the garbage disposal to get rid of nasty smells there.
- Oranges and Cinnamon- Want to introduce a sweet and pleasant odor into your home? Fill a large pot or slow cooker with water. Place orange zest, or peels into the water along with powdered cinnamon or cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for as long as you want. Keep a close eye on it, however, and replace evaporated water whenever necessary.
- Create Your Own Fabric Refresher- Furniture, bedding, and large rugs are often spot treated in order to keep them clean. However, over time they can develop a musty smell that is unpleasant. This problem requires an odor eliminator, but a green one. Luckily, you can make this yourself using a tablespoon of baking soda, two cups of water, and 10 drops of your favorite essential oil. Combine all of these ingredients in a spray bottle for a quick way to eliminate odors and keep your home smelling fresh and spring-like.
Types of Essential Oils to Use
There are many different types of essential oils. Some you might like to try are:
- Allspice Berry- This essential oil has an aroma that is spicy and sweet at the same time.
- Eucalyptus- This essential oil has a unique scent that is invigorating and purifying.
- Fennel- Earthy and sweet, anise is thought to provide restorative and nurturing benefits.
- Lavender- Lavender essential oil has a sweet, floral aroma that can be used in combination with oils like clove, patchouli, and rosemary for a soothing and relaxing environment.
- Patchouli- This strong, lasting, and heady aroma is earthy, sweet, and woody. It is the perfect essential oil when you want to feel like you’re running barefoot through the woods.
Home Cleaning Services From Greenapple House Cleaning
While keeping your home smelling like spring may help keep unpleasant odors away for a little while, keeping it completely odor-free requires regular home cleaning. If you don’t have the time or the energy to keep up with your house-hold chores, don’t worry. Greenapple House Cleaning will be happy to visit your home, perform an assessment, and set up weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly visits. With our help all you’ll be smelling in your home are beautiful spring scents that will almost make you forget it’s still winter.