August 8, 2013
Whether we like to believe it or not, the media affects the way we think, –aggressively pursuing us, day in and day out with images that form our perceptions on everything from what type of car is safe for our family to which household cleaners are synonymous with a fresh, sterile, safe environment.
Little by little, and especially through the past several years, an awareness has been raised which has caused an entire generation to question the products offered to us as “good” and “safe.” Digging into its archives, the media doesn’t exactly have a shining track record. Here’s what cigarette advertisements once looked like:
Today we know better. Cigarettes are the leading cause of lung cancer, but what about other dangerous products that are being presented to us as safe and good? Here’s the breakdown of some of our most trusted household cleaners.
Household Cleaners You Thought Were Safe
Women’s Voices for the Earth commissioned an independent laboratory and tested twenty of today’s most popular cleaning products. The results revealed that hidden chemicals with direct links to birth defects, infertility and cancer were found in many of our most “trusted” products.
- Simple Green Naturals Multi-Surface Care: Then name says “natural” and Simple Green has always been pushed as being biodegradable, but in reality phthalate is hiding in this product. Even at low doses, phthalate exposure during pregancy can significantly affect neurological development.
- Pine Sol Original Formula: This cleaner contains toluene, which has been linked to birth defects, pregnancy complications and developmental delays in children. Even worse than the product containing toluene is the fact that the Pine Sol label does not list this chemical, which makes it impossible for expectant mothers to avoid it.
- Tide Liquid Laundry Detergent / Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent: Contains 1,4-dioxane, which is a known cancer-causing substance linked to increased risk of breast cancer. Amazing that Tide Free & Gentle is marketed to consumers looking for a healthier choice, but that’s not at all what they’re getting.
- Clorox Clean Up with Bleach: Contains chloroform and carbon tetrachloride, which are cancer-causing chemicals linked to breast cancer. Chloroform exposure can also cause nausea, headaches and dizziness. This product is marketed to consumers as a way to keep countertops, sinks, and even children’s toys sanitized throughout the day.
- Febreze Air Effects: We’ve all seen the ads for Febreze. It’s great to “freshen up” around the house and get rid of those unpleasant odors, right? According to this same study, Febreze contains galaxolide, which has been shown to disrupt hormone levels and decrease cell’s self defense mechanism against other toxic chemicals.
The full results of this study are contained in a report by Women’s Voices for the Earth. They are an organization working tirelessly for practical solutions, such as full disclosures on ingredient lists and warning labels.
A Different Kind of Clean
As you may have guessed, there is a better way. Instead of overwhelming yourself with labels, test results, and constantly checking on the latest changes to products, using completely green cleaning products will absolutely ensure the safety and well being of your family, now and in years to come.
Curious about a home cleaning service that specializes in ‘green clean’? Give us a call.